Saturday, July 9, 2011

My First "He Art" Canvas

A few months ago, I won a spot in Christy Tomlinson's "She Art Workshop."  I was so excited to start but life kept getting in the way.  Most of May and all of June I was consumed with planning and carrying out a youth conference for teens in my area.  It was an amazing experience!  However, it left me with no time at all to be creative and I have missed it a lot.  So this week I decided I was just going to do it and I'm so glad I did!  


I ordered a few art supplies online that Christy suggested, but they hadn't come yet and I was too impatient to wait.  So I decided to gather up what supplies I had on hand at home and I was so surprised with what I was able to find.  Part of Christy's objective is finding miscellaneous items that can create texture and add dimension and interest to the canvas.  I was able to see things in a new light and that might have been the most fun part about this class for me!

I was totally going to start with a girl on my first canvas, but when I sat down to create, I decided, "Why not make one for each of my boys?"  So here is my very first attempt at canvas art:

 There's lot of symbolism in this canvas.  The background consists of copies of a story Cam wrote, his sheet music, Yu-gi-oh cards, Harry Potter memorabilia, and a heart he drew.  Most of it got covered up, but we know it's there.  :)  I painted over the heart again, which you can see along the right edge.

 One of the things I love about Christy is the way she creates art so freely without worrying about whether or not it's perfect.  She layers paint, ink, paste, rub-ons, stamps, and doodles and it all ends up looking fabulous!  I really tried to not think about what I was doing and just go for it.  It was actually very liberating!

 Lots of stamps and rub-ons here.



 I wanted to add something meaningful with the phrase.  This describes Cam to a T.  He's so friendly and gets along with everyone.

 Last week we lost our Sadie dog who had been part of our family for nearly 14 years.  She was crazy and spastic and often in trouble, but we will miss her dearly.  Cameron was especially broken hearted.


 I really wanted to add some freckles, but was a little scared to.  I still might do it...


Well, that about sums it up.  I'm going to make one for Taylor next and then we will see what else pops into my head.  I have lots of ideas!  :)  Thanks for looking!


2 comments:

  1. Stephanie you did a great job!! I really liked what you did! miss ya Torri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Steph! You have the cutest blog! I really want to try out some of these canvases!

    ReplyDelete