Thursday, May 20, 2010

Tulle Flowers Tutorial

We just received some new 7 Gypsies papers in the store a couple of weeks ago and I could hardly wait to play! I love the shabby, vintage feel to them.


Here's a close up of the tulle flower I made in under 10 minutes:


I started with a roll of pink tulle which I found in the wedding section of Porter's. You can also find tulle by the yard in fabric stores. You will want to use clear or matching thread for your project.

1. Cut 5 ovals that are all the same size:


2. Fold the first oval in half lengthwise.
3. Thread a needle (double your thread) and tie a knot in the end. Make a stitch through the tulle, but don't pull it all the way since the knot would just pull through the holes in the tulle. Loop the needle through the opening in the thread near the knot and pull tight:


4. Make a basting stitch along the curved edge:

5. Then pull tight. This creates one petal:


6. Without knotting or clipping your thread, repeat steps 2, 4, and 5.


7. Continue adding petals until all 5 are gathered:


8. If desired, add some beads to your thread and sew them to the center of the flower:


9. Knot the end of your thread when finished:


These flowers make the cutest hair bows as well as accents for many crafting projects. You can make them as large or small as you like. Experiment and have fun!

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful, soft touch it adds to the page! I'm going to have to make me a "girly" page... all I do are boy pages...lol...

    Thanks for always showing how to do the "little things"! You are awesome! Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those flowers are so cute! They would look good on anything really! I love how people like you inspire people to try new ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the idea! I am making 4 flower girl dresses that have to use the same color tulle in different ways. This will be great for the waistline on one of them!

    ReplyDelete